Friday, July 19, 2013

Banana Rum Coffee Cake w/Brown Sugar Topping & Rum Icing

I like bananas. I really do. So imagine my surprise when I opened up the cupboard and found a bunch of brown-spotted bananas. Lucky for my family, I know how to use up brown bananas. Why don't I keep them on the counter you ask? It's a long story. Anyway, I'm continuing with the rum theme because I need to use up the rum extract that I bought for the previous coffee cake. If you don't like rum, you can always use vanilla or maple extract. Also, I opened up my brand new fridge and realized that I had no buttermilk and no sour cream. So, I used some honey flavored Zoi Greek yogurt because that's what I had on hand. It's called "rummaging-through-the-fridge-and-the-cupboards-and-using-what-I-find" method of baking.

Banana Rum Coffee Cake w/Brown Sugar Topping &
Rum Icing

Coffee Cake
1 cup unbleached flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ cup sugar
1 stick butter or margarine, softened
2 eggs
1 cup honey-flavored Greek yogurt
¼ cup milk
2 tsp rum extract
2 small ripe bananas, mashed

Topping
¾ cup dark brown sugar
½ cup flour
6 Tbsp butter, cold, cut into chunks
¼ tsp cinnamon

Icing
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp butter, melted
2-3 Tbsp milk or water
1½-2 tsp rum extract


Instructions
Generously grease a 9x9 pan. Heat oven to 350° F.

For the topping
In a bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and flour. Using a pastry cutter, cut butter into flour/sugar mixture until pea-sized chunks form. Set aside.

For the cake
Combine unbleached white flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Mix thoroughly. Set aside. In a separate bowl, beat sugar and butter until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, stirring well after each. Add yogurt, milk, and bananas. Stir thoroughly. Gradually add flour mixture and stir until well combined. Add rum extract and stir. Pour into greased pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle topping. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely before icing.

For the icing
In a bowl, combine powdered sugar, butter, and rum extract and blend until smooth. Add milk or water one tablespoon at a time if necessary to thin icing as desired. Drizzle over cake.

Inspiration recipe(s):


Enjoy!

~CD

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...