Monday, June 3, 2013

Vanilla Buttermilk Coffee Cake w/Brown Sugar Bacon Topping & Maple Icing

It's been a while since my last post - a long while, and for that I'm sorry. I had run out of inspiration and other things were going on at home. But I'm back and I'm back with bacon! I don't want to tell you how to run your kitchen, but I recommend cooking the bacon beforehand like perhaps the night before. Since I used an entire 12oz. package of bacon (yes you read that correctly), I baked it in the oven so it wouldn't take forever to cook. An entire package of bacon might seem excessive, but when you consider how much bacon shrinks during cooking you see why I used that much. Feel free to adjust the amount of bacon.

Vanilla Buttermilk Coffee Cake w/Brown Sugar Bacon Topping & Maple Icing

Coffee Cake
1¼ cup whole wheat flour
1¼ cup unbleached white flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 stick butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1⅓ cup buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla

Topping
¾ cup dark brown sugar
½ cup flour
6 Tbsp butter, cold
¼ tsp cinnamon
12oz pkg bacon, cooked crispy and crumbled

Icing
1½ cups powdered sugar
1 Tbsp butter, melted
2-3 Tbsp milk or water
1½-2 tsp maple extract


Instructions
Generously grease a 9x13 pan. Heat oven to 350° F.

For the topping
Cook bacon according to package directions. I recommend cooking until crispy but not burned. Cool. Chop bacon slices into crumbled bits. Set aside. In a bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon. Using a pastry cutter, blend butter into flour and sugar mixture until pea-sized chunks form. Add crumbled bacon and stir together. Set aside.

For the cake
In a bowl, combine whole wheat flour, white flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time stirring well after each. Alternately add milk and flour mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add vanilla and stir. Pour batter evenly into greased pan. Top with brown sugar bacon topping. Bake 45-50 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Cool completely before icing.

For the icing
In a bowl, combine powdered sugar, butter, and maple extract and blend until smooth. Add milk or water one tablespoon at a time if necessary to thin icing as desired. Drizzle over cake.

Inspiration recipe(s): My husband made some of those bacon cinnamon rolls (just Google "bacon cinnamon rolls"). That's what inspired me to put bacon in my coffee cake.


Enjoy!

~CD

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...